Trainings & Outreach
The sessions listed below are currently offered through The Arc of the Mid Ohio Valley and/or The Arc of West Virginia.
Each of the sessions include PowerPoint presentations and utilize Group & Individual Activity components. Topics and Session Length can be modified to fit your needs.
What Do We Mean…Inclusion
- What Inclusion Is…and What Inclusion Isn’t.
- Resources and supports needed to include people with disabilities in existing activities and programs
- People are more alike than different: Looking at Similarities vs. Differences in all people
- Modifications & Accommodations to consider
Disability Awareness & Etiquette
(3 versions: children, teens, and adults) (can be formatted to 1 or 2 hours)
- History of Disability / Overview and ways of acquiring a disability
- How to communicate with and about people with disabilities
- People First Language – What is it and how do I use it?
- How to interact with people with disabilities in specific situations – appropriate and inappropriate actions.
People First Language
(3 versions: children, teens, and adults)
- History of People First Language
- It’s all about the words you choose and the order in which you use them.
- Words and phrases to avoid / Acceptable words and phrases to use
- Communication techniques
Brain Injury Prevention
- How are brain injuries acquired?
- What are the effects of traumatic brain injuries?
- Interaction with people who have brain injuries.
- Programs and resources available
Fetal Alcohol Syndrome
(3 modules: up to 1 hour each)
- Understanding Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders (FASD)
- Effects of Prenatal Exposure to Alcohol and Other Drugs
- FASD and the Brain: How Prenatal Alcohol Exposure Affects Children’s Behavior
- Early Intervention Strategies for Infants and Young Children Exposed Prenatally to Drugs
- What is Assistive Technology?
- Who needs assistive devices?
- What resources are available locally, regionally, and statewide?
- Demonstration of some assistive technology devices.
- What are the milestones by age?
- What red flags should you look for?
- How to identify potential developmental delays.
- What types of interventions are available?
(all separate training modules)
- What is Self-Advocacy: What Every Community or Agency Should Know?
- How to Be An Effective Self-Advocate
- How to Start and Run A Self-Advocacy Group
- People First Advisor Training
- Fundraising: How Do We Do It?
- Being A Good Board or Committee Member
- Transition in the School System
- What Is Transition and Why Is It Important?
- Telling MY Story for Teens…. How Do I Do It and Be Effective?
Emergency Planning for Special Populations
- Working with Special Populations During a Disaster: What Does The Mean and Are You Ready?
- Writing My Agency or Organization’s Emergency Plan: Where Do I Start?
- I Have A Disability…How Do I Get Prepared For An Emergency?
- Engaging People with Disabilities in Emergency Planning and Volunteer Service
- Volunteer Mobilization Centers – Developing & Implementing
- How Words and/or Images Shape Perception of Those With A Disability
- Valued Roles: From Pity to Power and Influences of the Media
- Associated Press Guidelines for Reporting on Disability
- People First Language – What Does It Mean and Why Should I Use It?
- Interviewing Tips for Working With People With Disabilities
Abuse & Neglect
- How to recognize the signs
- Prevention Tips and Guidelines
- How To Report If Abuse Is Suspected
- Categories of Abuse